Skip to content
The People’s Platform
A political platform for the Greater Huntsville Area and for 2018 local elections.
Economic Justice & Opportunity
- Attach labor standards and workers’ rights provisions to development projects.
- Establish an hourly minimum wage of at least $10.10 for all workers performing work on or in connection with local government contracts.
- Ban predatory lending practices.
- Create a City of Huntsville Labor and Human Rights Office to parallel the existing Business Relations Office.
- Stop local government business with big banks that have committed felonies and defrauded customers.
- Shift local government financial business from big banks to local credit unions.
- Use business licensing & permitting processes to improve worker standards.
- Promote the growth of local worker cooperatives.
- Establish a community land trust to maintain affordable housing and economic diversity.
- Resist state government preemption of local economic justice initiatives.
Community Policing & Criminal Justice Reform
- Decriminalize marijuana possession and use; dismiss prior marijuana convictions.
- End civil asset forfeiture.
- Remove all financial and performance incentives for making arrests and piling on charges.
- Keep children out of the adult criminal justice system.
- Eliminate fines, fees, and court costs for juveniles and poor adults.
- Focus law enforcement on crimes that have victims.
- End the school-to-prison pipeline; improve transparency, guidance, and training of school police officers.
- Increase citizen oversight and review of law enforcement.
- Ensure transparent process for releasing police body-camera footage to the public.
- Make high-quality, age-appropriate early childhood education available for all children.
- Reverse privatization and fully and equitably fund public schools.
- Provide educators with the pay, resources, and support they deserve.
- Transparency and accountability for education officials and policy-makers; empower educators and ensure democratic input of all stakeholders.
- Recognize and address socio-economic barriers with more robust wrap-around services, including more counselors, mental health services, social workers, and parent/community partnerships.
- Well-rounded, culturally responsive curriculum; authentic assessments, not standardized testing.
Environmental Stewardship & Sustainable Development
- Improve and expand bus systems to provide clean, convenient, and equitable public transit.
- Improve and expand pedestrian and bicycle paths.
- Aggressively reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
- Establish a local environment & sustainability commission.
- Scale up renewable energy sources for the community and for families.
- Expand urban gardening & composting through new programs; remove ordinances and rules restricting these practices.
- Adopt green building standards for new construction.
- Increase participation in local recycling programs.
- Preserve and increase urban tree cover.
Vibrant Local Democracy
- Establish automatic voter registration by registering all eligible citizens who interact with government departments and offices (except individuals who decline).
- Pass anti-corruption ordinances to stop political bribery and end secret money in local elections.
- Restore full citizenship and voting rights for formerly incarcerated citizens.
- Empower citizens to launch ballot initiatives.
- Increase transparency and citizen input for economic development projects.
- Create a participatory budgeting process for city/county budget.
- Remove inherently racist Confederate monuments from public property, and rename public schools and roads named for Confederate leaders.